STUDY OF INNOVATIONS IN SANITARY APPLIANCES WITH EMPHASIS ON WATER SAVING
Keywords:Water saving. Sanitary appliances. Innovation. Patents
Water conservation practices are necessary for buildings because water scarcity increasing. This survey is a study of patents, which analyzed the technological innovations with water saving purpose in the following appliances: toilet, shower and tap. The records were collected in the INPI (Instituto Nacional de Propriedade Industrial) database by searching for the name of the appliance in the title of the patent. Then, the patents deposited in the period from 2010 to 2017 were selected, which had a water saving purpose described in the abstract or patent document, these were classified in rational water use solutions and use of alternative sources. In total, 2,616 patents were registered between 1974 and 2017. However, the results show that in the last seven years there has been a considerable decline in the record of patents for the studied appliances. In the period from 2010 to 2017, 100 patents were found with water saving purpose, of which 79% are rational water use solutions, such as the use of timers, presence sensors, pressure reduction and systems for the use of wasted water before reaching ideal bath temperature. On the other hand, 21% of the solutions were from alternative sources, most of which refer to the reuse of the shower and tap water in the toilet flush. Therefore, this study contributes to the understanding of advances in technological innovation in the field of water conservation.
This Journal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial-No Derivers 4.0 International license.
1.The author (s) authorize the publication of the article in the journal;
2.The author (s) warrant that the contribution is original and unpublished and is not in the process of being evaluated in other journal (s);
3. The journal is not responsible for the opinions, ideas and concepts emitted in the texts, as they are the sole responsibility of its author (s);
4. The editors are entitled to make textual adjustments and to adapt the articles to the standards of publication.